A Fighting Chance at 4 Million Jobs
Right now in the US, not enough people have the required skills or knowledge to fill available jobs. 4 million available jobs, in fact. The GED® test can help solve this economic need by opening the doors for millions of adult learners to college courses, apprenticeships and job training—the pathway adults need to gain skills and knowledge, fill these jobs, and care for their families.
That’s why GED Testing Service made the decision to overhaul the test and build a program from the ground up, specifically for adult learners. We invested 5 years and tens of millions of dollars to provide the country with the standards-based and technology-enhanced test that the country and these adults need.
When adults are counting on you, why provide anything less?
The 2014 GED® Test Benefits
- Only nationally recognized high school equivalency test developed by experts with a 70-year history in high school equivalency
- Only test aligned with current high school standards (including grade 12 standards) and career- and college-readiness expectations
- Delivered exclusively on computer which provides a consistent testing experience nationwide and improved passing rates
- Same-day scoring on all four parts including the new score report for reporting and remediation
- Offers two score levels:
- GED® Passing Score: at or higher than the minimum needed to demonstrate high school equivalency-level skills and abilities
- GED® Passing Score with Honors: at or higher than the minimum needed to demonstrate career- and college-readiness (CCR)
The 2014 GED® Test Specifications
- Four content areas:
- Reasoning Through Language Arts (RLA) (150 minutes)
- Section 1 (35 minutes*)
- Section 2 (45 minutes)
- Student Break (10 minutes)
- Section 3 (60 minutes*)
*The time allotted for sections 1 and 3 may vary slightly, but the total test time will always be 150 minutes.
- Mathematical Reasoning (115 minutes)
- Part 1 - (first 5 test questions) calculator not allowed
- Part 2 - (remaining 41 test questions) calculator allowed
- As of Friday, February 21, 2014, the standard time allowance on the GED® test - Mathematical Reasoning was increased by 25 minutes.
- The time allowance for GED Ready™ - Mathematical Reasoning was also increased by 13 minutes.
- Science (90 minutes)
- Social Studies (90 minutes)
- Section 1 (65 minutes)
- Section 2 (25 minutes)
- English and Spanish
- 3 opportunities to test per year, per content area
Seven different item types:
- Extended response
- Hot spot
- Multiple choice
- Short answer
- Delivered on computer (not online)
- Paper testing only available as an accommodation
FIND OUT MORE
“Employers now say they’re having a hard time finding qualified workers to hire”